Phrasal verbs 5

PHRASAL VERBS

 UNIT 5 (LANDMARK upper intermediate, workbook)

 

get over

recover. to return to your usual state of health, happiness, etc. after an illness, a shock, the end of a relationship, etc.

ex_It has taken her a long time to get over the accident

he was disappointed at not getting the job, but he will get over it.

 

get out of  

avoid doing something, a responsability or duty

ex_He always finds some excuse for getting out of doing the washing-up

we promise we would go, we can`t get out of it now

 

get round

acomplish something, to find the time to do something

ex_I finally got round to cleaning out that cupboard las week

I ment to do the ironing but I didn`t get round to it

 

get through

to use up a large amount of something, eat and drink

ex_While we watched the match we got through two large bottles of coke, two hamburgers each and a large packet of crisps

we got through a fortune while we were in new york

 

get down

to make somebody fell sad or depressed

ex_This endless rain is really getting me down, I need a holiday somewhere sunny

 

get by

to manage to live or do a particular thing using the money, knoledge, equipment, etc that you have.

ex_I couldn`t have got by without your help

how does she get by on such a small salary

I can just about get by in german (I can speak basic german)

 

 

get across

to be communicated or undestood; to succeed in comunicating something

ex_He is a good public speaker. He has no problem getting his message across

your meaning didn`t really get across

 

get round

to persuade somebody to agree or to do what you want, usually by doing nice things for them

ex_Dad never let me stay out late but Susie always manage to get round him. She was his favourite.