Phrasal verbs 6

PHRASAL VERBS

 UNIT 6 (LANDMARK upper intermediate, workbook)

 

bring up

to direct the conversation to a particular subject or introduce a subject into the conversation

ex   I`m sorry to keep bringing this up but you still haven`t paid me the money you owe me

 

look after a child until he/she is an adult. to care for a child, teaching him or her how to behave

syn_raise

ex     After her parents died, she was brought up by an aunt

 

break down

to lose control of your feelings and start crying.collapse in tears

ex    when they told her the bad news, she broke down

 

(of a machine) stop working because of a fault

ex    My car broke down in the middle of a bridge yesterday, Smoke was comming of the engine so I had to call for help.

 

make up

invent an excuse, story, especially in order to trick or entretain somebody

ex    Sometimes it`s better to bring up an excuse than to tell the truth

 

forgiv and become friends after an argument. to end a dissagreement with somebody and become friends again

ex    We often argue but we always make up soon after

 

take up

start a new job or activity. to learn or start to do something, especially for pleasure

ex    when Jerry retired, he took up golf

 

to fill or use an amount of  space or time

ex     My job takes up all of my free time these days.